It’s tax time!! Starting on the July 1st of each year is the new financial year in Australia. This means it’s time to either pay tax or get a refund, but does this apply to international students? The answer is yes. Therefore, a free seminar about tax and labour rights was held on June 26th at OIC to provide our students with all the essential information they need.
We invited Yaritza Salazar, the Managing Director of Y & S Accounting, to be our presenter as she has more than 10 years of experience in the provision of financial/accounting service. Her company was established in 2008 and specialises in services to international students and temporary residents.
The 2-hour long seminar covered the following topics:
- What income incurs a tax liability in Australia?
- When can I apply for an ABN?
- Should I work with an ABN or TFN?
- What are my rights as an employee?
- What expenses can I claim on my tax return?
- What are the tax consequences when you have more than one job?
- What happens to my superannuation after I leave Australia?
Before the seminar ended, Yaritza had a Q&A session with the students to make sure they were clear about the laws and regulations in Australia.
The students really enjoyed the session and they have gained a better understanding of all accounting related things. We bet they can’t wait to file their tax return and get a refund now!!
As always, OIC looks forward to organising more events for our current students and their friends.